About VMware UEM:
VMware User Environment Manager offers personalization and dynamic policy configuration across any virtual, physical, and cloud-based environment. User Environment Manager can simplify end-user profile management with a single and scalable solution. IT can simply map infrastructure (including networks and printer mappings) and dynamically set policies for end users. You can experience quick, personalized, and consistent access to your Windows workspace and applications.
VMware has announced new version of User Environment Manager last month. VMware User Environment Manager 9.0 brings some new and exciting features.
What’s New in UEM 9.0:
VMware claims that UEM 9.0 will make the adoption of virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) or virtual application delivery faster. The product is designed to replace “bloated roaming profiles and unmaintainable, complex logon scripts.” It also offers the ability to map environments (read network and printer settings), and apply end-user security policies dynamically.
According to release document User Environment Manager 9.0 provides the following new features and enhancements:
- Application Blocking: Application Blocking lets you control the applications that can be started based on paths. If you attempt to run an unauthorized application from another folder, the launch of that application is blocked and a message is displayed.
- Folder Redirection: Folder Redirection lets you configure redirection of a folder from within the VMware User Environment Manager. Hence Active Directory GPO’s for redirection is not required.
- Horizon Policies: Horizon Policies or Smart Policies is an integration between UEM 9 and Horizon 7 with conditional support for poolnames, tags, endpoint location, and View name and IP information. Administrators can use Horizon Policies to contextually and dynamically control the system clipboard, client drive, USB access, printing capabilities, and bandwidth profiles for PCoIP connections.
- ThinApp 5.2 support: ThinApp 5.2 support is an integration between UEM 9 and ThinApp 5.2. You can use ThinApp 5.2 support in UEM to streamline the support for many UEM features instantly such as Personalization and Predefined Settings.
- Secured approach: User Environment Manager provides a secured by default approach by logging the users out in case the Flex config files path is not available at logon.
NOTE: Drive mapping with explicit credentials is no longer available in User Environment Manager 9.0 due to security reasons. However, the existing drives that are mapped, still function correctly.
- Conflict with Horizon View smartcard redirection feature on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
- User Environment Manager Administrator’s Guide
- User Environment Manager Application Profiler Administrator’s Guide
- User Environment Manager Helpdesk Support Tool Administrator’s Guide
- User Environment Manager Synctool Administrator’s Guide
Click here to download VMware User Environment Manager 9.0
I hope you find this useful. Thanks for reading.