In my previous blog, we saw the new features and capabilities about the new release of App Volumes 2.12. this blog will guide you through the installation and configuration of Appvol 2.12.
System Requirements for App Volumes 2.12:
- SQL Server 2012 SP1, SP2, and SP3
- SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2, Express, Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter editions
- SQL Server 2014 SP1 – Now SQL 2014 has been officially supported with this release.
For High Availability, App Volumes supports SQL server clustered instances and SQL server mirroring database features.
App Volumes Manager :
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter editions
- Minimum 4 vCPU and 4 GB RAM with 1 GB disk space
App Volumes Agent (Client OS):
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Professional and Enterprise editions (Microsoft Hot fix 3033929 applied)
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional and Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 10 Build 1607 Current Branch & LTSB – New
- Microsoft Windows 10 Build 1607 Current Branch for Business – New
- Windows 10 Anniversary edition Version 1607 – New
- Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of OS are supported
- TCP 80, 443 and 5985 (PowerShell Web Services) is required for Agent to Manager communication.
- TCP 1433 for Database Communication
Installation of App Volumes 2.12 :
- Get the App Volumes binaries from VMware Official Website.
- Mount the ISO and run the setup as administrator.
- Click on Next to proceed the installation
- Accept the VMware EULA and Click Next
- Select App Volumes Manager and Click Install
- Click Next
- Now you have a choice of selecting Local SQL Express Database or if you have external database, Please select accordingly and proceed with the installation.
- In my test Lab, i already have external database. Hence just providing the SQL Database details to continue.
- In App Volumes 2.12, We have the option to use SSL certificate for secure communication between App Volumes Manager, Agent and DB. Hence port 443 has been selected. If you don’t like to have a secure communication, you still have option to disable SSL by checking the “Allow connections over HTTP” this would enable port 80 for communication.
- Click Next and then Install.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
Hope this article have helped you understand about App Volumes 2.12 installation. In my next article will walk you through the configuration. Please stay tuned.